George Condo (American, b. 1957), Large Reclining Smoker, 2005. Oil on canvas, 65 x 60 in.
I’m so glad this infographic exists.
SAVE THE WORLD’S OLDEST FILM SET! Universal Studios’ Stage 28 has a lot of memories. Parts of Dracula, Torn Curtain, and The Sting were filmed there, to name only a few. Built for the silent Phantom of the Opera (1925), the original Paris opera sets are still there. Some say the soundstage is haunted—but those ghosts might be homeless soon.
Because the word is that Universal plans to tear down this landmark of Hollywood history.
I don’t like to ask favors of you lovely people who follow me, but please, please, please do this. Together you are mighty enough to reach the goal.
Okay so I have been seeing this picture on Facebook all week and let me tell you, it pisses me off. Here is why:
- First of all, if clean water in developing countries is such a big issue to you, how come you’re only mentioning it now? Where were you all this time? Oh yeah, posting cat videos and #aftergym pictures. Now you’re just stepping on an issue to make yourself look like a “hero” and a “thinker”.
- Not dumping water on your head will not make developing countries any less thirsty. Nor will posting this kind of pictures.
- It’s not even half of what we use when we shower, and I doubt any of us take showers that last less than 15 minutes.
- You are allowed of course to think that the Ice Bucket Challenge is “stupid”, “worthless”, “attention seeking”, but it worked. It really did. It raised awareness, and most importantly, money the pharmaceutical companies are not willing to give.
- I think that if something looks stupid but works nonetheless, it’s not stupid. And if you don’t like it, please, by all means, come up with something just as good as the challenge that will make just the same amount of money. You either find a solution or you quit bitching.
- TRAGEDY IS NOT A COMPETITION
- The Ice Bucket Challenge campaign was one of the very few campaigns that didn’t victimize the people who are affected by it, nor did it sexualize them, like we’ve seen numerous times with breast cancer, testicle cancer and prostate cancer awareness campaigns.
- You heard about ALS. You think that donating money is more important than “being stupid and throwing water on your head”. Good. But did you donate money, since charity is so important to you? DID YOU?
- Also, are you donating money for clean water, since it’s such a huge issue for you? Here is a link , and here is another one. There you go. You have no excuse to not give money to that cause, now.
- Charity begins at home.
Dr. James Weir and the rise of the Viragents,
Dr. James Weir Jr. was a naturalist and evolutionary scientist in the 19th century who followed the work of Charles Darwin. After studying animals and the origins of the human race, Dr. Weir quickly applied his evolutionary theories to modern society. According to Weir, civilized culture was de-evolving, breaking down and regressing ever closer to savagery and barbarism. To support his theory, he used as evidence the many workers strikes that were occurring around the turn of the century, which was common during the industrial revolution. According to his beliefs, such strikes were an example of the downfall of civilization because those of the lower class, who he considered less evolved and less intelligent, where seeking to overthrow the upper classes, those he considered more evolved and more intelligent.
Expounding further in his theories, Dr. Weir also cited the Women’s Suffrage (right to vote) movement as another example of humanity’s de-evolution. According to Weir in an essay penned in 1894, Women who were strong, independent, and self sufficient were a class of mentally disturbed and physically deformed women called “viragints”. Unlike “normal” women who knew their place in society, were subordinate to men, and lived a humble feminine lifestyle, viragints were a class of women who had de-evolved and regressed to a savage state. According to Weir, granting women the right to vote would only encourage more empowerment for women, thus regressing them further “ backward toward the state of her barbarian ancestors.”
Dr. Weir went even further writing that women’s rights, and most especially the right to vote would create whole generations of viragints, which would eventually lead to the collapse of civilization. Despite Dr. Weirs warnings, the 19th Amendment was passed in 1920, making it illegal to deny the right to vote based on gender.
"We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented."
The Truman Show, 1998